Window Covering Safety – Put Kids First!
The Blindman is dedicated to educating parents and other types of caregivers about the dangers of window blinds and shade cords. They both pose a possible strangulation risk and we urge customers to choose a cordless window covering in homes or workplaces where children will be present.
We know that, as a parent, there are many different things that are running through your head every day in regards to your child’s safety. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has called corded window coverings one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes.
Following are some ideas to create a safe environment for your children:
- Be sure all window coverings are properly installed. Our install team is trained in the proper installation methods.
- Keep windows closed and locked when not in use.
- Do not place beds or cribs, or other furniture that children can climb onto, near windows.
- Never allow anything to dangle into a crib or a bed
- Never allow window covering pull cords to lie on the floor when the window covering is pulled up. The Blindman offers cord ties which we can mount to the wall and you can wrap your cord around to prevent children or pets becoming entangled in them.
- Choose the cordless window covering option when possible.
- Do not put comforters, blankets, or stuffed animals in the crib with a baby. While cute to look at they can pose a suffocation risk.
- All electrical outlets should be covered in every room.
Here are some options for cord-free window coverings!
When considering the safety of your children, Plantation Shutters are one of the best options on the mark. Their simple design leaves little room for unintended injury.
If you are wanting a simple, classic and child safe solution for your home or office, cordless blinds are hard to beat.
Cordless Roman Shades have spiked in popularity recently. They are simple to use, beautiful to look at, and safe for your family.
Cordless Shades are the look your home needs. Both kid safe, and easy to use, we highly recommend them for a variety windows.
Our motorization is the best of the best. Whether you are covering a hard to reach window, or keeping the cords out of your childrens’ hands, motorized shades are the perfect finishing touch to any room.
When you are looking to purchase a window-covering make sure you keep child safety in mind when choosing what style you would like to go with!
In accordance to the 2018 voluntary window covering safety standard that was jointly issued by the Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA) and United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), The Blindman has ceased the sale of any “stock” or “substantially fabricated” window coverings that do not meet the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) guidelines.
As a manufacturer of corded custom-order window coverings, we adhere to the new standards by making our default options for blinds, a twist style wand tilter as well as lift cords limited to 40% of the height of the blind itself. As a custom manufacturer, we can still handle special request as needed for a variety of customers which may include elderly, disabled, short in stature, and tall or hard to reach windows.