Child Safety Warning:
Young children can be strangled by loop in pull cords, chains, tapes, and inner cords that operate the product. To avoid strangulation and entanglement, keep cords out of reach of young children. Cords may become wrapped around a child’s neck. Move beds, cots, and furniture away from window covering cords. Do not tie cords together. Make sure that cords do not twist and create a loop.
In accordance to the 2018 voluntary window covering safety standard that was jointly issued by the Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA) and United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), The Blindman has ceased the sale of any “stock” or “substantially fabricated” window coverings that do not meet the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) guidelines.
As a manufacturer of corded custom-order window coverings, we adhere to the new standards by making our default options for blinds, a twist style wand tilter as well as lift cords limited to 40% of the height of the blind itself. As a custom manufacturer, we can still handle special request as needed for a variety of customers which may include elderly, disabled, short in stature, and tall or hard to reach windows.
For the safety of children, we recommend the use of cordless window coverings. If you have corded window covering in your home, we recommend these steps to minimize the risk of strangulation:
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture, and toys away from window cords, preferably to another wall.
- Make sure that tassels pull cords are as short as possible.
- Keep all window cords well out of the reach of children.
- Check that cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit the movement of inner lift cords
- Continuous-loop cords should be permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
Keeping your children safe is important to The Blindman. We work to offer many blind, shutter and shade options that are cord-free, making them optimal for homes and offices with children.
The following list of window coverings are certified best for kids:
- Cordless Cellular Shades
- Cordless Roller Shades
- Cordless Roman Shades
- Motorized Cellular Shades
- Motorized Roller Shades
- Motorized Roman Shades
- Panel Track with Wand Control
- Cordless Blinds with a Wand Control
Fully Compliant Window Treatments:
All TBM blinds and shades are fully compliant with the Window Covering Manufacturers Association current safety guidelines. To learn more, click here.
Child Safety Tips:
- Be sure all window coverings are properly installed. Our install team is trained in the proper installation methods.
- Always keep windows closed and locked when small children are in the room.
- Do not place furniture (i.e. beds and cribs) near windows.
- Never allow anything to dangle into a crib or a bed
- Never allow long window covering pull cords to lie on the floor next to the window.
- Choose the cordless window covering option whenever possible.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there have been 50 fatalities from corded blind products reported since 2012. The Blindman passionately believes one child lost in such a tragic way is one too many. So in support of the latest CPSC recommendations of removing all corded blind products from homes with small children, The Blindman would like to offer to its existing customers a substantially discounted rate on replacing their corded blinds with cordless options. If switching out your corded blinds for cordless is not an option for you, the CPSC recommends these safety tips:
* Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.
* Make sure that tasseled pull cords are as short as possible.
* Keep all window cords well out of the reach of children. Eliminate any dangling cords.
* Check that cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit the movement of inner lift cords.
* Continuous-loop cords on draperies and vertical blinds should be permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
In addition to these tips, The Blindman recommends switching your tassels to a more child friendly breakaway tassel. Whether you have Blindman brand blinds or any other brand, please check your blinds for potentially unsafe cord collection tassels, and contact The Blindman for a free breakaway conversion kit.